Diving Phi Phi from Phi Phi
Diving Phi Phi from Phi Phi Island
There are two ways of diving Phi Phi. You can do day trips from Phuket to Phi Phi dive sites. A one day trip with 2-3 dives starts at 3,700 baht plus equipment rental. Or you can stay on Phi Phi Don island and dive from there. A half day trip with 2 dives is 2,000 baht plus equipment rental. Trips run in the morning and afternoon.
Advantages of staying at Phi Phi and diving:
- The diving is a bit cheaper. 2,000 baht for 2 dives compared to 3,700 baht for 3 dives from Phuket.
- Less time travelling. Phuket dive boats take 2.5 – 3 hours to reach Phi Phi and the same on the return. It’s a full day (7.30 am – 7.00 pm). A Phi Phi 2 dive trip starts at the dive centre at 7.30 am and finishes at about 1 pm. The afternoon trip is 1.30 – 6.00 pm.
- You can do more dives, two dives in the morning and two in the afternoon.
- Available every day. Phuket boats only dive Phi Phi a few days per week.
- More choice of Phi Phi dive sites
- The King Cruiser Wreck and Phuket Shark Point dive sites can also be reached from Phi Phi (the dive sites are half way between Phuket and Phi Phi).
Disadvantages of staying at Phi Phi:
- The main disadvantage is that accommodation on Phi Phi can be very expensive for what it is. Ton sai bay, where most of the dive centres are and where the dive boats depart from, is over developed and over crowded. It’s great if you are young backpacker in the mood to party all night, but may be not if you’re not.
Best dive centre on Phi Phi Island?
Phi Phi dive centres seem to come and go but we’ve been recommending Barakuda dive centre for years, they have stood the test of time. They are a professional outfit, efficiently run.
You can contact Barakuda directly or we can book your Phi Phi diving for you. We also offer ferry transfer to Phi Phi and Phi Phi longtail boat charters (ideal for group excursions to Maya bay and surrounding areas).
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!